xClose

Loading ...
Animal Health
xClose

Loading ...
Livestock Production
Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:23:32 PM
Print this articleForward this article

Enzyme complex containing NSP-enzymes and phytase improves performance of broilers fed corn-based diets

A.V. Mori, J. McNab, A. Knox and P.A. Geraert

The efficacy of exogenous enzymes in improving poultry performance has been well documented; however, a variety of responses to combinations of enzymes such as glycanases and phytases have been reported (Ravindran et al., 1999; Zyla et al., 1999; Wu et al., 2004; Cowieson and Adeola, 2005).

Rovabio Max is a multi-enzyme preparation produced from fermentation of Penicillium funiculosum. It contains a minimum of 20 compatible enzyme activities with relevance to a broad range of plant feed ingredients in monogastric diets (Maisonnier-Grenier et al., 2004).

To evaluate the efficacy of this multi-enzyme preparation (containing carbohydrolase and phytase activities) on performance of broilers given corn/soybean meal-based diets, 2,240 male day-old Ross broiler chicks were allocated to 56 pens (40 chickens per pen) and subjected to a total of seven treatments.

The Ross broiler chickens were fed either phosphorus reduced (AP), AP and energy (ME) reduced-, or AP, ME and protein (CP)-reduced diets, without and with the enzyme complex.

A positive control treatment (T1) consisted of a diet formulated to meet requirements of the birds for available phosphorus (AP), energy (ME) and crude protein (CP).

Three of the treatments consisted of an AP-only reduced diet (T2, with a reduction of 1 g/kg in AP), or an AP and energy reduced diet (T4, with reductions of 1g/kg and 0.25 MJ/kg, respectively, in AP and ME) or an AP, energy and protein reduced diet (T6, with reductions of 1 g/kg, 0.25 MJ/kg and 4 g/kg respectively in AP, ME and CP).

Treatments 3, 5 and 7 were treatments 2, 4 and 6 respectively plus the enzyme (Rovabio Max) included at a rate to provide 1,100 visco units (equivalent to 70 AXC) of endo-ß-1,4-xylanase, 100 AGL units of endo-1,3(4)-ß-glucanase, and 350 RPU of 3-phytase per kg of diet.

The body weights and feed intakes of each pen of birds were recorded at 0, 21 and 42 days of age. Data from the birds on the different dietary treatments were analysed as a completely randomised block design.

Mean values for feed intakes, weight gains, and feed conversion ratios were subjected to analysis of variance and the standard errors of the means were tested for significance, using STATVIEW (Abacus Concepts, 1996).

Supplementation of the reformulated diets with the multi-enzyme complex improved weight gain of the birds, and weight gain values were comparable to those observed in the positive control group receiving a diet formulated to meet requirements for AP, ME and CP. A marked improvement in weight gain (5.6 percent) was observed when birds were fed the reduced AP, ME and CP diet supplemented with the multi-enzyme complex.

Additionally, birds offered enzyme-supplemented diets had feed conversion ratios comparable to those of birds fed the positive control. Supplementation of the enzyme preparation to reformulated corn/soybean meal-based diets improved the productive performance of broilers between 1 and 42 days of age.

The results suggest that full dietary reformulation is required for better expression of a multi-enzyme complex containing NSP-enzymes and phytase.

For more of the article, please click here.

Article made possible through the contribution of Australian Poultry Science Symposium (APSS) 2007.

Share this article on FacebookShare this article on TwitterPrint this articleForward this article
Previous
My eFeedLink last read